Saturday, November 17, 2012

Windows to the soul



It is said that the eyes are windows to the soul. This is especially true with cats. Yes your garden variety house hold cat. Before I had savannahs I had 2 black cats, both of them females from the same litter. I spent many a friday night with nothing better to do than drink some beer, eat corn chips and gaze into Annabelle's eyes. 

When I got Seyah, one thing I did was get a good camera and learned to use it. That boy has more photos of him than any other cat that I know. I suppose at the time I was compensating with quantity vs true skill. At least I can say that I was able to capture for all time "his" window to his soul. As the he lives on in the photos and in my memory. There is one thing that still life does not capture is his mannerisms. They only capture a moment in time, and when you look back on that moment it is hard to tell exactly what you were thinking or what he was thinking. All you can do is imagine. You have a spot in time (or spotted love in time) and your imagination. I took many such photos of many such windows. The one thing I tell people about Savannahs and especially the early generations is that they have a FULL range of emotions.  Seyah was the main study for my hypothesis. As far as emotions go, he had them all. Some may not know this but in the first six months that I had him, Seyah bit me 6 times. 

When looking into Seyahs eyes you could pretty much tell what he was thinking. The best time where spent on the couch watching TV, listening to music, on the computer or just reading with him at my side all the while purring like a cat that has never been more satisfied. He would turn his head and gaze at me with those wonderful aqua green eyes and the gaze would pierce right though me. When he turned to look at me it wold be with this over accentuated turn of the head. Everything he did was larger than life and that is how I will remember the boy.




Leonard D.
spotted love savannahs (www.spottedlove.com)

- on Facebook: "Spotted Love Savannahs"

- YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/lifeatthesharpend

- internet radio show: www.blogtalkradio.com/cattalkradio

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was looking at your website to see if you had any new photos of Seyah and learned he had passed away. He was such a beautiful cat who loved you enough to sit and watch television. Your "windows to the soul" tribute was fitting.

Flamincatdesigns said...

I still feel weepy when I see Seyahs photos. He is a Savannah icon in my eyes. Love him always.

Suzanne said...

Seyah was such a special SV. I loved watching your videos of Seyah jumping so high! It seemed that you and Seyah had a wonderful bond. I feel your sadness.
---Suzanne